Short answer: No. Chlorine sanitizers and shock are similar but different in strength. What IS the difference between chlorine and shock? Granular chlorine, liquid chlorine, chlorine tablets and granular shock all have similar active chemicals that sanitize your pool.
In The Swim Super Pool Shock is a more concentrated version of our Cal-Hypo pool shock. It contains 73 percent calcium hypochlorite and is also a non-stabilized shock, containing no cyanuric acid to shield it from the sun. The dosage of Super Pool Shock is 1lb per 10,000 gallons.
Can you put too much shock in a pool? SKIMMER NOTES: It's unlikely but it could happen. It would take a lot of shock to really make the water unsafe for swimming. The best way to make sure you're safe to swim is to test your pool water and make sure free chlorine levels are between 1-4ppm for healthy swimming.
HTH Super Shock Treatment
The brand's Super Shock Treatment is considered to be the best pool shock for removing algae. It was developed to kill algae and unwanted bacteria in swimming pools by delivering the perfect chlorine boost. This pool shock also leaves pool water crystal-clear within 24 hours.
Shock is chlorine, in a high dose, meant to shock your pool and raise the chlorine level quickly. Chlorine tabs (placed in a chlorinator, floater, or skimmer basket) maintain a chlorine residual in the water. You do need to use both tabs and shock.
In theory, if you have a cloudy swimming pool, you can add chlorine to “shock it” and clear things up. Chlorine will get the job done. But, the amounts may vary and you may have to really pound the pool with chlorine to get the water totally clear.
After Shocking Your Pool
It is safe to swim once your chlorine levels are around 5 ppm or after 24 hours. It is always best to test first!
The type of shock you should use will depend on your water chemistry and the reason you're shocking. If the water is green, you should use a cal-hypo shock. However, if you're shocking as part of weekly maintenance and your pool looks clean, you can use sodium dichlor, potassium monopersulfate or sodium hypochlorite.
It Should Not Be Done Together
This is because when you mix chlorine and algaecide together, it renders both of them useless. Hence, you should first shock the pool and wait for the chlorine levels to fall below 5 PPM.
Shocking is the process of adding chemicals (usually chlorine) to your pool to: break apart chloramines, also known as combined chlorine. quickly raise your chlorine level. kill algae, bacteria or other harmful pathogens.
Liquid chlorine and granular shock have the same active chemical that sanitizes your pool, what changes is the strength and the way you use it. Liquid chlorine is less costly, unstabilized and comes in liquid form. Granular shock is stabilized and comes in a solid form that dissolves in your pool.
Lithium hypochlorite has a higher range of 28 to 35 percent chlorine. This allows it to more effectively maintain the chemical balance of the pool water, but lithium hypochlorite is also non-stabilized and vulnerable to UV radiation.
How Often Should I Shock My Pool? Shocking your pool regularly will help to keep the water clean and free of contaminants. You should aim to shock your pool about once a week, with the additional shock after heavy use. Some tell-tale signs that your pool needs to be shocked are cloudy, foamy, green, or odourous water.
High doses of chlorine, like pool shock, can cause temporary cloudiness as it kills contaminants. High levels of pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness are more likely to cause cloudy water.
Skim the top of the pool for debris that may have settled on the pool surface. Add one pound of diluted granular shock to the water for every 7,000 gallons of pool water. Run the filter for 24 hours and retest the water. The slimy looking film can be an early onset of algae.
Answer: Try using chlorine bleach (liquid chlorine) instead of granulated chlorine; this will clear and help keep away algae from your pool. Free chlorine should always be at 3ppm to avoid algae and cloudy water.
Backwash only as needed. Brush the pool vigorously, several times after shocking the pool. Do not use a solar blanket until chlorine and pH level are normal. If chlorine level drops to zero within 24 hours, Repeat the shock treatment.
A pool filter should be run for a minimum of 6 hours after shocking a swimming pool. This is to allow the filter to clean the water and give the shock enough time to fully mix with the pool water. Running the filter after shocking for 24 hours to 7 days is necessary if the pool has a large amount of algae.
So if you buy liquid shock, be aware that it only lasts one to two months at the most before it starts to lose effectiveness. While many swimming pool chemicals stay good for years if stored correctly, some pool-maintenance supplies expire more quickly.
Leslie's Power Powder Plus 73 is great for overall pool clean-up when chlorine levels are below 2.0 ppm. It is the strongest shock, providing 73% Calcium Hypochlorite and 70% Available Chlorine.
Don't mix them in the same container. In the pool it's okay because of the water volume (the products are diluted more). But NEVER mix them both in the same bucket or chlorinator.
Sodium dichlor is a sodium-based chlorinated granular shock that is designed to be used in a saltwater pool or spa environment. The sodium base allows it to dissolve quickly and clearly, leaving no turbidity or cloudiness to the water.