Typically for granular shock, you'll need one pound for every 10,000 to 13,500 gallons of pool water. With over 8 million residential swimming pools across the US ranging from 5 thousand gallons to over 30 thousand gallons, the amount of shock you need to treat a swimming pool isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.
It takes 1 ounce of chlorine in 7,500 gallons of water to equal 1 ppm. We will divide 30,000 gallons by 7,500 to get 4. It requires 4 ounces of chlorine to raise the parts per million of this example pool by 1.
For light green pools, use 1 lb. of shock treatment per 10,000 gallons of water. So, for 25,000 gallons of water in pool, use 2.5 lb. of shock treatment.
How much shock do I need to shock my pool? A simple ratio and a standard rule of thumb to follow when you shock your pool is to dissolve one pound of either calcium hypochlorite or sodium dichlor for every 10,000 gallons of pool water.
To double shock, you will need to add 2 pounds for every 10,000 gallons of water. For instance, if you pool is 20,000 gallons, you will add 4 pounds of shock.
Typically for granular shock, you'll need one pound for every 10,000 to 13,500 gallons of pool water.
To shock your pool, use 2 pounds of shock for every 10,000 gallons of water. This should raise your chlorine levels to 10.0 ppm. Depending on your pool, you can use either Leslie's Power Powder Plus or Leslie's Chlor Brite.
What happens if too much shock is added? You cannot overshock a swimming pool or add too much. Adding too much shock or overshocking your pool will kill off algae. The negative of adding too much shock is it will upset the chemical balance of your pool.
Neither will chlorination be effective with a diffuser and without a pump. The best thing to do is to apply liquid chlorine in the pool. Then, you have to circulate the pool manually with the use of a telescopic pole or paddle. This will ensure the chlorine disperse well.
What can happen if you go into a pool too soon after it's been shocked? There are a few potential issues. "Chlorine will react with water to produce an acid," Alan says. "The effects will be different depending on whether chlorine is inhaled or whether there is skin or eye contact."
To superchlorinate, add AT LEAST 2.5 ounces (5 tablespoons, 75 grams) of chlorine for every 100 gallons (400 litres) of spa water or part thereof. Adding more is fine and never a bad idea.
(1 bag) of shock per 10,000 gallons of pool water. That may be fine for normal conditions, but if you have a severe algae attack, a triple shock is needed. 1 bag will get reach 7-9 ppm, but for 30 ppm, you need 3, 4 or sometimes even 5+ lbs per 10,000 gallons of pool water.
Super Shock can deliver 10 ppm per 10,000 gals, per 1 lb. bag, in good water conditions – you may need more. In many cases, the dosage listed on a bag of shock will be effective on blue and clear water, but if you have very cloudy or very green water, a 3x-6x treatment dosage is not unusual.
How Often Should I Shock My Pool? Shocking your pool regularly will help to keep the water clean and free of contaminants. You should aim to shock your pool about once a week, with the additional shock after heavy use. Some tell-tale signs that your pool needs to be shocked are cloudy, foamy, green, or odourous water.
Liquid chlorine and granular shock have the same active chemical that sanitizes your pool, what changes is the strength and the way you use it. Liquid chlorine is less costly, unstabilized and comes in liquid form. Granular shock is stabilized and comes in a solid form that dissolves in your pool.
The best thing about this dry liquid chlorine formula is that it dissolves very rapidly, even in cold water temperatures. We've packaged it in an easy to pour bottle, just walk it around the pool – no need to pre-dissolve.
Chemicals that you add to your pool while the water is circulating don't need to be recirculated; they will stay mixed even if you don't pump the water continually. Although it's generally recommended that all the pool water undergo filtration every 24 hours, the pump does not need to run all the time.
Let the pump run for about 6 hours or more and test the water. Don't use the pool right away – wait for the free chlorine levels to drop to 1 – 3 ppm before it is safe to swim.
A good rule to remember is to use one bag of shock (1 gallon of liquid chlorine) per 10,000 gallons.
After Shocking Your Pool
It is safe to swim once your chlorine levels are around 5 ppm or after 24 hours. It is always best to test first!
Pools can immediately turn green after shocking when they have metals like copper or iron in the water. These metals oxidize when exposed to high levels of chlorine which makes the pool water turn green. Metals in the water are caused by some algaecides and using well water.
Oxidize (shock) weekly using 1 lbs. of Burn Out 35®, per 6,000 gallons of water. NOTE: Be sure to remove your cover before shocking and leave it off at least 8 hours.
1) After shock - Sometimes pool water looks cloudy right after you apply shock granules such as cal-hypo, or liquid shock, but rest assured it's only temporary. This could be due to change in water balance – meaning your pool water temporarily goes off balance when adding these products.
Calculate the amount of bleach you need based on the fact that 1 gallon will raise the free chlorine level of 30,000 gallons of water by 2 ppm. If you need to mildly shock a 30,000-gallon pool by raising the free chlorine concentration to 5 ppm, you need 2.5 gallons of bleach. To raise it to 10 ppm, you need 5 gallons.