Chlorine is a sanitizer, and (unless you use Baquacil products) is necessary for maintaining a clear and healthy pool. Shock is chlorine, in a high dose, meant to shock your pool and raise the chlorine level quickly.
Shock has a more intense chemical strength than the traditional chlorine sanitizers, and it also differs in how you should apply it to your swimming pool. Short answer: No. Chlorine sanitizers and shock are similar but different in strength.
Similarities Between Liquid Chlorine & Powdered Shock
Similarly, both forms have a higher concentration of available chlorine than those used in daily chlorination. They also both kill nearly all living microorganisms, bacteria and contaminants with ease.
Your pool's chlorine will combine with contaminants and bacteria and other dangerous organisms will grow as temperatures rise. Bring your water chemistry back into balance. Shock your pool to break up the combined chlorine and release it back to free chlorine.
It Should Not Be Done Together
This is because when you mix chlorine and algaecide together, it renders both of them useless. Hence, you should first shock the pool and wait for the chlorine levels to fall below 5 PPM. Only then should you introduce algaecide to get the best results.
After Shocking Your Pool
It is safe to swim once your chlorine levels are around 5 ppm or after 24 hours. It is always best to test first!
How Often Should I Shock My Pool? Shocking your pool regularly will help to keep the water clean and free of contaminants. You should aim to shock your pool about once a week, with the additional shock after heavy use. Some tell-tale signs that your pool needs to be shocked are cloudy, foamy, green, or odourous water.
A pool filter should be run for a minimum of 6 hours after shocking a swimming pool. This is to allow the filter to clean the water and give the shock enough time to fully mix with the pool water. Running the filter after shocking for 24 hours to 7 days is necessary if the pool has a large amount of algae.
Can you put too much shock in a pool? SKIMMER NOTES: It's unlikely but it could happen. It would take a lot of shock to really make the water unsafe for swimming. The best way to make sure you're safe to swim is to test your pool water and make sure free chlorine levels are between 1-4ppm for healthy swimming.
So if you buy liquid shock, be aware that it only lasts one to two months at the most before it starts to lose effectiveness. While many swimming pool chemicals stay good for years if stored correctly, some pool-maintenance supplies expire more quickly.
Liquid chlorine and granular shock have the same active chemical that sanitizes your pool, what changes is the strength and the way you use it. Liquid chlorine is less costly, unstabilized and comes in liquid form. Granular shock is stabilized and comes in a solid form that dissolves in your pool.
Swimming pool shock contains 12.5% sodium hypochlorite (bleach) vs. 6-8.5% for Clorox (bleach). Some Clorox products go as high as 8.5%. At a 12.5% concentrate, liquid pool shock is approximately 2x's stronger than Clorox bleach.
However, it's important to note that you can't shock your pool with regular chlorine tablets. While pool shock is usually made from chlorine, pool shock chemicals are much more highly concentrated. Proper shock treatments are designed to literally “shock” your pool and raise the chlorine level quickly.
There are four main types of pool shock: calcium hypochlorite, sodium hypochlorite, sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, and potassium monopersulfate. Calcium hypochlorite is the most commonly used pool shock with a typical chlorine level of between 50 to 80 percent.
Super chlorinate (shock) the pool ideally with liquid chlorine to shock level to 20ppm of Free Chlorine using either Liquid Chlorine (1.5L per 10,000L) or Chlorine Granules (310g per 10,000L).
Both available in various forms: Chlorine comes in liquid, dissolvable granules, and granule pucks/tablets for slow-release. While shock is more fast-acting, it's also available in both granule (most common) and liquid forms.
Brown pool water is often caused by metals (iron) becoming oxidized in the pool water. If you shocked your pool water and it turned brown you probably have metals. Oxidized iron usually turns a brown or rusty color in the water.
Add Pool Water Clarifier
After your pool water has circulated and your shock has dissipated, it's time to add your clarifier. Clarifier helps bind tiny particles into bigger particles that your filter can capture.
It's usually just a temporary reaction as the sanitizer works its magic, and doesn't always indicate a problem. But if the cloudy water persists long after you've shocked the pool, you're likely having an issue with water balance, circulation, or filtration.
Before you start pouring shock in the pool, the first step is to brush the sides and floor of your pool to loosen all the algae. Doing this breaks the skin and allows the pool shock to more easily kill the algae. Once you've done this, it is important to make sure you have the proper pH level in your water.
Pool water turns green because of algae in the water. Algae can grow rapidly, particularly when it's warm like Summer, which is why it can surprise you overnight. This generally comes down to an imbalance or lack of chlorine in the water.
It's recommended that you should do a pool shock once a week. The more you use the pool, the more often you need to shock it. Occasionally, you may need to perform an extra pool shock after: Heavy pool use, like a pool party.
So, not only is shocking a saltwater pool okay, but it's actually important to your pool's health. Shocking is the process in which you overload your pool with chlorine (3-5 times the normal amount) to improve your pool's cleanliness and kill off organic matter.
Shock-chlorination is an essential and effective method of cleaning the pool. But you need to have the pump circulating the water for this to be effective.
Q. How long does it take to shock a pool? The actual process shouldn't take more than an hour, but depending on the product used, it could be up to 8 hours before you can use it.