Non-Chlorine shock will destroy your basic bacteria, but for the stronger varieties, it just can't get past their defensive walls. For control of pathogenic bacteria, those that can make you sick, a shock treatment with chlorine will neutralize 100% of germs, to sanitize and disinfect the water.
Non-chlorine is an oxidizer, meaning that it does a great job cleaning up oils and organic matter. However, it doesn't actually kill bacteria or algae—you need chlorine for that. Therefore, you always need to use non-chlorinated shock in conjunction with chlorine to keep your pool water healthy for swimming.
For many of the reasons outlined in point 2, Non Chlorine Shock can help improve water clarity fast. If you have milky or cloudy hot tub water but your chlorine levels, PH and alkalinity are ok then Non Chlorine Shock will oxidise the products causing this and help restore your water to crystal clear.
While shocking and adding algaecide is effective in getting rid of algae, it should not be done together. This is because when you mix chlorine and algaecide together, it renders both of them useless. Hence, you should first shock the pool and wait for the chlorine levels to fall below 5 PPM.
After NON-CHLORINE shock wait 10-15 minutes before entering. After chlorine shock it can take up to 24 hours to clear. Therefore it is recommended to use non-chlorine shock.
Are chlorine and shock the same thing? SKIMMER NOTES: No. Chlorine and shock are not the same thing. Shock has a more intense chemical strength than the traditional chlorine sanitizers, and it also differs in how you should apply it to your swimming pool.
You cannot overshock a swimming pool or add too much. Adding too much shock or overshocking your pool will kill off algae. The negative of adding too much shock is it will upset the chemical balance of your pool.
The best chlorine for your hot tub is sodium dichlor. In granule form, sprinkle them over the surface of the water after each use.
A non-chlorine oxidizer removes contaminants from your water. These can include body oils, lotions, ammonia, and sweat. One of the benefits of using a non-chlorine oxidizer is that it allows your chlorine to do its best work in the hot tub water.
When you shock a pool, you test and adjust the pH level for a reason. With that said, if you shock a pool outside of the 7.2 to 7.4 pH range, not only will you waste a significant amount of the chlorine used, you will also end up with cloudy water.
How Often Should I Shock My Pool? Shocking your pool regularly will help to keep the water clean and free of contaminants. You should aim to shock your pool about once a week, with the additional shock after heavy use. Some tell-tale signs that your pool needs to be shocked are cloudy, foamy, green, or odourous water.
Cloudy or milky water after shocking is normal, and the water should clear up within an hour or so. Just make sure your pump and filter are running properly. If you add algaecide, keep in mind that some algaecide contains copper, which can actually make a pool cloudy.
It's often recommended to shock your pool once a week. If you don't do it every week, you should at least do it every other week. This is necessary to maintain your pool's water chemistry. If you have a lot of people over in your pool or have a party, you may want to shock your pool more frequently.
Works as advertised to shock the pool, clear up cloudiness, and the chlorine smell doesn't linger. While I haven't tried using it a few hours just before getting into the pool as they claim you can do (if your pool was already clear and you just wanted a quick touch up), but I can see how they make that claim.
Adding chlorine besides the shock can increase the chlorine content in the water which can make the entire shocking process useless. Hence, it is better if you don't use the shock and chlorine at the same time. The best time to add chlorine to the pool water is after you have shocked the pool.
Generally speaking, the dosage amount of pool shock is 1 lb. per 10,000 gallons, but consult the shock package label.
Super chlorinate (shock) the pool ideally with liquid chlorine to shock level to 20ppm of Free Chlorine using either Liquid Chlorine (1.5L per 10,000L) or Chlorine Granules (310g per 10,000L). Run the filtration system on 'Recirculate” for 1 hour to allow the chlorine to spread throughout the pool.
Neither will chlorination be effective with a diffuser and without a pump. The best thing to do is to apply liquid chlorine in the pool. Then, you have to circulate the pool manually with the use of a telescopic pole or paddle. This will ensure the chlorine disperse well.
If too much is added, it can cause the overall pH level of the pool to drop for a sustained period, which you'll then have to raise. Whereas, with a chlorinated shock, if you overdose the pool on it, all you have to do is wait a few extra hours for the sun to burn off the chlorine.
Keep your pump and filter running. Give the shock a good 12 to 24 hours to work it's magic. If the algae hasn't cleared up after 24-48 hours, clean and brush the pool and add another shock treatment.
You should wait one hour per pound of shock product added, and then test the water to confirm the pH and chlorine are in the proper range before letting anyone enter the pool. As a reminder, you want your pH to be between 7.2 and 7.8ppm and your free available chlorine to be 1-4ppm for safe swimming.
It's pretty tough to over-shock your pool; shocking your pool two days in a row with the proper dosage for your pool volume shouldn't be a problem – and in fact, is sometimes even needed to rid your pool of algae and other contaminants.
Answer: After shocking the pool, it will need filtration and circulation. Run the pump as much as possible. Keep the filter clean (daily) until the water runs clear. Be sure to brush the pool often during this process as above-ground pools do not have drains at the bottom.