Chlorine/non-chlorine chemicals – When adding chlorine or non-chlorine chemicals to “shock” your pool after a fill-up, wait about 24 hours or until levels are approximately 5 ppm. If you'll only be adding liquid chlorine, it's generally safe to swim after about 4 hours or until levels are 5 ppm or lower.
The plaster material cures under water in about 7-10 days. But this doesn't mean you have to wait that long. Once the pool is filled and clean, you can go in for a swim.
pH, Clarifier, Alkalinity — For these types of water-balancing chemicals, it's suggested that you wait at least 20 minutes before you get into the water. After you shock the pool — As soon as your chlorine levels reach 5 ppm or lower, it's officially safe to swim.
What can happen if you go into a pool too soon after it's been shocked? There are a few potential issues. "Chlorine will react with water to produce an acid," Alan says. "The effects will be different depending on whether chlorine is inhaled or whether there is skin or eye contact."
After Shocking Your Pool
It is safe to swim once your chlorine levels are around 5 ppm or after 24 hours.
The best time of day to shock pool is when the sun is down. So, experts recommend shocking your pool in the evening or at night, to make sure it does its job. Shocking during the day can be ineffective as UV rays from direct sunlight significantly reduce free chlorine levels.
Wait times for adding pool chemicals
The wait times between adding pool chemicals is usually around 10 minutes each, as that is also sufficient time for the chemicals to mix in the water. Users also under normal conditions can swim roughly 10 minutes after adding chemicals.
If the water is clean and clear, then add about 3 oz of liquid chlorine per 1000 gallons of water – while the pool filter is running. This should give you a chlorine level of about 3 ppm.
Opening & Closing: When opening your pool, it's recommended that you shock it after balancing the other chemicals. This will oxidize the particles, kill bacteria, and clarify the water. When it's time to close your pool, shocking will help fight off contaminants over the long winter months.
The Bottom Line about Pools and Chlorine
As mentioned above, you could probably swim in a pool without chlorine without any major health issues. However, long-term use of a pool lacking chlorinated H2O could make you sick or, at the very least, contribute to rashes and other types of skin irritation.
TEST IN THE MORNING
If you are having chlorine issues in your pool, the best time to get a water sample is in the morning. Even with proper amounts of chlorine stabilizer, chlorine will burn-off during the day. Testing in the morning will give your water a chance to circulate all night and avoid the sun's UV rays.
Should the green be due to pollen, there may be little to do in the way of minimizing the discoloration short of erecting a building around the pool. Fortunately, assuming there are no allergies to the pollen, it is safe to swim in a pool with that as the cause for green water.
The main benefit of acid washing, during some new finishes application is to remove any haze or cement residue. California is experiencing a long-term drought. Besides the cost of the acid wash, you'll need to calculate the cost of refilling the pool (including any water fines).
At first you'll add chlorine in what's called “shock” levels – an extra heavy dose to start your pool off. A shock dose coupled with extra circulation will ensure that all the water gets treated properly in the beginning.
Algae can be very slippery, causing swimmers to fall resulting in bumps, bruises, cuts and even broken bones. Don't try to swim in a pool that's full of algae. Besides causing injuries, an algae infested pool creates a higher risk of drowning for those who are not expert swimmers or those who fall unconscious.
Chlorine, either solid or liquid, is a pesticide used in pools to destroy germs, including those from feces, urine, saliva and other substances. But excessive exposure to chlorine can cause sickness and injuries, including rashes, coughing, nose or throat pain, eye irritation and bouts of asthma, health experts warn.
You should cover your pool every night for several reasons. First off, a pool cover saves energy and conserves water by decreasing the amount of make-up water. Also, it reduces the consumption of chemicals, and finally, it saves a lot of cleaning time since it keeps the debris out of the pool.
It is best to wait before going into the pool because liquid chlorine levels will be high after shocking, but it will be safe to swim after only 24 hours.
Wait until the chlorine level in the water drops down to 1-4 parts per million (ppm) before allowing swimmers back into the pool. If the water still looks a little cloudy after the shock treatment, you may want to use a water clarifier before allowing swimmers back into the pool.
Chlorine is a sanitizer, and (unless you use Baquacil products) is necessary for maintaining a clear and healthy pool. Shock is chlorine, in a high dose, meant to shock your pool and raise the chlorine level quickly.