Shocking the water with chlorine will eliminate excessive chloramines, but it requires raising the spa chlorine level to approximately 10 ppm. After super-chlorinating the water, bathers must wait until the chlorine residual comes down to the acceptable range, between 1 ppm and 5 ppm, before getting back in the water.
MPS Shock (MonoPeroxySulfate) is a non-chlorine compound that will do the job of oxidizing allowing the sanitizer to do the more important job of destroying the microorganisms. Regardless of which sanitizer you use, shocking is essential for clear, clean hot tub water.
The spa owner is required to manually add MPS to the spa with each use, and a small amount of chlorine once a week. The silver ion cartridge should be replaced every three months, and the ozone unit will need to be replaced every 4-5 years.
If too much is added, it can cause the overall pH level of the pool to drop for a sustained period, which you'll then have to raise. Whereas, with a chlorinated shock, if you overdose the pool on it, all you have to do is wait a few extra hours for the sun to burn off the chlorine.
Dead skin and other elements like hair may end up dropping in the hot tub, leaving the tub in a mess. It is essential to shock the hot tub frequently – at least once every week. It is important to use Chlorine shocks as well as non-Chlorine shocks.
Measure 17g of non-chlorine shock per 1500 litres or 35g of chlorine shock per 1500 litres (consult the label instructions as this can vary based on chemical quality and brand). Carefully add the required shock to the hot tub. Leave the cover off for approximately 20 minutes.
Potassium Monopersulfate (monopersulfate, KMPS or MPS) is a white, granular, free-flowing peroxygen that provides powerful non-chlorine oxidation for a wide variety of uses. It is the active ingredient in most nonchlorine oxidizers used for pool and spa/hot tub oxidation.
Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione (Dichlor) is a granular chlorine that can be added to your hot tub water in small, measured doses before and after each soak. One or two Tablespoons of Dichlor before each soak is usually enough to sanitize the water and quickly kill germs on your body as you slip into the water.
Monopersulfate does not cause odors or irritation. Caution: The standard “shock” dosage for monopersulfate is 2 lbs. per 10,000 gallons of water. Overdosing may cause a dramatic drop in pH and lower total alkalinity as the pH of monopersulfate is approximately 2.3 (acidic).
If your MPS levels are low, that means you still have organics floating around in your spa, creating havoc and cloudy water! So, the moral to the story is, start off by adding about 1 tablespoon per person of oxidizer to your water after each use. Run the jets on a clean cycle, about ten minutes, and then test for MPS.
You should put chlorine in your hot tub at least once a week. However, some people prefer to add a small amount after each use. Finding the best water care routine will depend on how often and how many people use it. Chlorine levels should be between 1.5 and 3.0 ppm.
No, not all hot tubs have jets. Some hot tubs may allow you to add more jets, but it should be done by a professional as it is a very mechanical process that may require more pumps as well. What is this? Even inflatable hot tubs can have jets, although they are usually air jets and not water jets.
A seat with 30 jets looks nice, but a seat with 3 jets across your shoulder blades and 2 jets sweeping and massaging up and down your back will be far more effective than the 25 stationary jets.
There is no difference, just different names for the same thing. The full name is potassium peroxymonosulfate.
The bottom line is that over-shocking is possible, but being responsible with your chemicals and timing will help you to avoid it as often as possible!
Monopersulfate is an oxidizing agent used in mineral purification systems such as Frog, SpaFrog, Nature2, PoolRx, or SpaRx. To test, just dip your AquaChek Monopersulfate strip into your pool or water for a quick second, and remove it immediately. You'll get results in just seconds.
Can I add shock and chlorine at the same time? No, you should not add shock and chlorine at the same time. The best thing to do is add spa shock treatment first and allow that to work, then test and add chlorine if needed.
You should wait one hour per pound of shock product added, and then test the water to confirm the pH and chlorine are in the proper range before letting anyone enter the pool. As a reminder, you want your pH to be between 7.2 and 7.8ppm and your free available chlorine to be 1-4ppm for safe swimming.
Spa Shock is commonly available in two different forms. There is chlorine based shock (Sodium Dichlor), which increases your sanitizer levels as well as shocking the water, and non-chlorine shock (potassium monopersulfate or MPS) which is purely for oxidizing the water.
You should ensure that your hot tub bromine level is always between 3-5ppm (parts per million. The addition of bromine will depend upon usage and bathing habits. It could be daily or every 2-3 days (for 3ppm add 12g per 1500 litres).
Green hot tub water can be caused by algae which is usually a sign of insufficient sanitisation level (Chlorine or Bromine) in your tub. Minerals such as iron, copper, and manganese can also make the water turn.