We recommend running your pump and filter when you're actively shocking your pool and for at least 8-12 hours after. If you don't run your pump and circulate the water, you run the risk of bleaching your pool walls and floor if you're using chlorine shock.
Filter and rebalance the water. After you finish the shocking process, Adrian recommends running the filter for 24 hours or until the water is clear.
Prepare shock ahead of time in a 5-gallon bucket of pool water and stir. Ensure the pool pump is running. Pour the mixture from the bucket into the water around the edges of the pool. Let the pump run for about 6 hours or more and test the water.
Run your pool pump and filter for at least 8 hours after. you shock your swimming pool.
How long should you run a filter after shocking a pool? Run your pool pump and filter for at least 8 hours after you shock your swimming pool. This provides adequate time for the filter to clean the water and for the pump to circulate the chemicals. If you're treating algae, plan to run the filter for ideally 24 hours.
Always run the pump when shocking the pool and allow it to circulate for 24 hours. The water should then be a blue or cloudy blue color. Test the water 24 hours after shocking and start adjusting pH and alkalinity levels. The chlorine will still be elevated, but over a few days, it should stabilize.
Vacuuming After Shocking
Running the water pump during this period will allow the shock to do its job. After 24 hours, debris that was disturbed during your previous vacuuming may have settled back to the pool floor, so giving it another vacuuming will get rid of most of the dirt.
Heavy shocking with granular chlorine will generally require 24–48 hours before the chlorine level has dropped to safe swimming levels (below 5 ppm). Lithium and non-chlorine shock labels typically allow immediate swimming or a brief 15-minute waiting period, but check the package label to be sure.
It's often recommended to shock your pool once a week. If you don't do it every week, you should at least do it every other week. This is necessary to maintain your pool's water chemistry. If you have a lot of people over in your pool or have a party, you may want to shock your pool more frequently.
It Should Not Be Done Together
This is because when you mix chlorine and algaecide together, it renders both of them useless. Hence, you should first shock the pool and wait for the chlorine levels to fall below 5 PPM. Only then should you introduce algaecide to get the best results.
The simple answer is yes, you can over shock a pool. This is when the chlorine level in the water becomes too high and can be harmful to swimmers. When you shock your pool, you are raising the chlorine level to 10 times its normal level. This is done to kill off any bacteria or algae that may be present in your pool.
If your pool is green and cloudy, it's likely an algae problem. Algae can persist in a pool even after shocking. A green pool – especially one that turned green overnight or after rain, can also be from a pool pump that isn't properly circulating water or an issue with your filtering system.
The general guideline is that it's safe to swim in a pool 24 hours after shocking it. To be safe, test your chlorine and pH using a chemical test kit to see if they are in balance. Make sure your free chlorine level has returned to 3ppm or less.
Chlorine issues often cause hazy-looking water. Adding a recommended dose of pool shock to your pool can clear it right up. Poor circulation or filtration can contribute to water clarity issues. Make sure your pump and filter are working properly.
If your total chlorine level is high, you will use a non-chlorine shock; if it is low, you will use a chlorinated shock. As a rule, you will need to raise free chlorine to 10 times your combined chlorine to hit what is known as “break point.” Therefore, it is good to deal with combined chlorine while it is still small.
1) What is the difference between chlorine and shock? Do I need to use both? Chlorine is a sanitizer, and (unless you use Baquacil products) is necessary for maintaining a clear and healthy pool. Shock is chlorine, in a high dose, meant to shock your pool and raise the chlorine level quickly.
Will shocking pool lower pH? Adding shock can actually raise your pH levels. If you use a calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) shock, this can raise your pH levels temporarily. So test your chemical levels regularly, especially after shocking.
If a large amount of dirt or debris gets into your pool water, like after a big rain storm, you'll need to backwash after clearing out the debris with a skimmer net and a manual vacuum or after shocking your pool water.
A pool can temporarily be cloudy after shocking and, as the filter runs, the cloudiness should clear. But be aware that if it doesn't, there are issues you need to deal with, which might include filtration problems, a high level of contaminants, and a high pH level.
Does baking soda kill algae in pools? Only algaecides can "kill" algae in pool water. However, baking soda can help clear up algae. Use both so you can restore sparkly, clean water!